Hi,

as I am just now developing a symfony application, I will watch myself
how I try to get the information I need and maybe add some suggestions.

In general I would like to say that the symfony documentation is very
comprehensive and well done. Thanks to the symfony team for it. On some
parts the navigation could be improved, because I find myself very often
using google to find the information that is already provided on the site.

Maybe some suggestions that come to my mind right now:
(ref link for all examples:
http://www.symfony-project.org/book/1_2/14-Generators)

There is a search field on the right side of all documentation. AFAIK
this should search in the actual document I am reading.

For me an improvement would be to have the search field on top in the
right column, so I wouldn't have to search for it (see ref link and try
to find the search field).

And IMO the search should not be on the document I am reading only, but
on the whole documentation. The reason for this is, that some infos
probably are not in the document I am reading. For example in the
generator docs (ref link), I read something, and need some info about
the forms used (but they are not in the book, so they will not be
found). And even worse, when I use the navigation links on the right
side, I come to information about form helpers, and how to process a
form, but this is not the way the admin generator works, and now I am
even more confused. But if the search had provided a link to the new
form framework, I would have to read for a day again ;-)

BTW it seems that the search is not working as intended ATM. Go to the
ref link above and enter any term in the search, nothing is found.

I think that the search is well structured on php.net
(http://de.php.net/manual/en/). Here you find the search on top always
in the same place, and you can choose the scope of your search. On
symfony docs, options could be [this document, all documentation, API
documentation, all site, ...]

If I use google to find something in the docs, I am stuck in the chapter
then. Use my ref link again. Somewhere down the page you find "Chapter
18 explains the concept of Join more extensively." Good information. But
how the get there?
I can scroll down to the bottom, click on next chapter, wait for it to
load, scroll down again, and this four times.
Here my suggestions would be to add a link to the index in the middle,
and add the whole navigation on top also (last chapter, index, next
chapter).
Also maybe there would be an option to automatically create a link for
chapter ## in the docs?

I think most of the suggestions are implemented quite quickly and would
help me a lot. Anyone else also?

Georg