On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Gael Varoquaux
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 03:43:38PM +0200, Mateusz Paprocki wrote:
>  > Having light weight version (but full of features and user
>  > friendly) of SAGE notebook is an interesting idea. Note however that
>  > Basti have done a lot work in this field, so I think cooperation with
>  > him would be very fruitful.
>
>  In interest of reducing duplication of effort, I wish to mention that
>  Benjamin Ragan-Kelley is putting a lot of effort in making a notebook
>  front end for ipython1. He is not talking too much about it, because he
>  is a guy who code rather than talks.
>
>  I must admit I feel that using ipython1 as an execution engine, and
>  building a notebook interface that is general, and not taylored to a
>  specific application, like symbolic calculation, is the right way to go.
>  However, in its current status, there is a lot of work in the ipython1
>  tree to do, because the goals of the project are very ambitious. I don't
>  know exactly what the status of the notebook interface is, but I know
>  these guys have been thinking about it for a long time.

I asked the same questions and Benjamin has shown us the current
status in Austin - it's pretty impressive. But as you said, still more
work needs
to be done.

I am going to write to ipython-dev to point attention to this thread,
as this application wants to have something useful now. ipython1 is
ambitious and
it may take a year or something, until something usable comes out -
but yet, I like the modular architecture of ipython1.

Ondrej