Hi Philipp!

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 12:30 AM, Saroj Adhikari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Just few suggestions on your application.
>
>  Disclaimer: I am not expressing my thoughts about the content/
>  proceedings of the application/actual-gsoc-work. I am just pointing
>  out things that I think will better your application structure,
>  grammar, and punctuation.
>

>  > Target of this application is to create a lightweight gui for the
>  > python based computer algebra system sympy.
>
>  The target of this application....
>

>  > The GUI should be able to
>  > graphically present formulas and graphs inside the document.This GUI
>  > could be seen as a lightweight replacement for sage notebook. I want
>  > to create an alternative to the sage webbased interface because I
>  > think GTK is a superior technology for creating an interactive
>  > interface. According to my opinion a gtk interface will be much easier
>  > to maintain and extend in the long run (things like autocompletion,
>  > syntaxcheck, etc can be easily implemented with a custom
>  > gtk.TextBuffer and gtk.TextView ).
>
>  I would phrase the third line in the above paragraph like this...GTK
>  is a superior technology for creating an interactive interface because
>  of the relative ease with which features like autocompletion and
>  syntax checking can be implemented, maintained, and extended, rather
>  than phrasing that you think it is a superior technology.
>

>  >
>  >  I think this can be accomplished during the relative short period of
>  > Summer of code by using existing technologies. I want to rewrite the
>  > rendering part of Symbide to use a gtk.TextBuffer/gtk.textView
>  > approach like reinteract. To render formulas I intend to rewrite the
>  > print_MathMl part of sympy. For the rendering of the MathMl I intend
>  > to use gtkmathview. As a plotting technology I will use matplotlib,
>  > because it is widely used and provides wide range of plot styles.
>  >
>  > python  http://www.python.org/
>  > sympy  http://code.google.com/p/sympy/
>  > symbide:http://code.google.com/p/symbide/
>  > reinteract      http://www.reinteract.org/
>  > gtkmathview    http://helm.cs.unibo.it/mml-widget/
>  > matplotlib      http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/
>  >
>  > I the first phase of the GSOC i will work on integrationg all the
>
>  In the first phase???
>

>  > technologies. The following things need to be done:
>  >
>  > Work on reinteract to better integrate with Sympy
>  >
>  > 1) make sympy formula objects plottable
>  > Write a function that plots sympy formula objects using matplotlib and
>  > give the gui the ability to render the plots inside the document.
>  >
>  > 2) make reinteract render sympy formulas as MathML
>  > sympy objects can already be converted into MathML by the function
>  > print_mathml(). I will rewrite this part of sympy to get high quality
> [...]

First, thanks for the updated application.

Second, let me thank Saroj for the suggestions, I agree with all of them.

Third, I still haven't seen your email to ipython-dev list. :) The
application deadline was extended to April 7, so you still have plenty
of time. IPython guys are really cool and I myself have learned a lot
of thinks from them and besides that, it's important to get in touch
with people doing similar things, so that you can leverage each
other's work. If you write them, I am sure they'll have constructive
comments too.

Thanks,
Ondrej