For the function of two variables, the natural assumption is that
f(0,1) means x=0 and y=1 because that's alphabetical order - that's
how nearly everyone does it in the symbolic math world (just think
back to algebra and calculus courses - it's ALWAYS written in that
order, except for the occasional cases where Greek letters are mixed
with the latin alphabet).  But your point about the issue of "magic"
is certainly valid... More important, it seems to me, is to find some
way to use sympy functions in the numerical package... but as long as
I'm not missing some underlying trick that's already been done that's
supposed to make this easy, I can look into implementing it, myself.