On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 9:51 PM, physnut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey there Ondrej,
>
> Do you think it would be a good idea to include MPI/BSP
> parallelization capability?  I think there will probably be no big
> problem in using the modules already included with scipy/Scientific
> for that, but perhaps integrated into sympy could be good if it is to
> be a fully featured CAS in its own right.  Given this it may be that
> most people are not interested in threading most of their CAS routines/
> doodlings it may be best to leave it up to external modules and
> concentrate on other features (when I have done a bit more playing and
> have some time I would like to write a tutorial on concurrency with
> sympy).
>
> Something along these lines which I think would be really cool (given
> that everyone and their grandma has more than one core these days...I
> found a decent dual core in a skip!), would be to enable an option to
> enable sympy to use SMP.... routines that look easily threadable could
> then be practically automagically split among all available cores by
> the kernel, needing only the user to specify which computations in a
> batch are threadsafe (don't know if this would be so doable for messy
> systems like windows).  It may be possible then for the user to
> relatively seamlessly take advantage of their whole system...  of
> course, again, this could be something which is not so applicable to
> most users and may be best left to other modules...thoughts?

Ok, the connection in my hotel if finally up --- so I think we could
use the pyproccessing module:

http://pyprocessing.berlios.de/

It was accepted to Python 2.7, Sage guys like it too, it's BSD
licensed, etc. Following the usual strategy, e.g. using it if it's
available and falling back to the default if it doesn't work for some
reason.

Ondrej