Oops. Last post got sent before I was finished. Anyway, as I mentioned
I modified the code to accept the f(x=1,y=2), but the __call__ method
was already a part of the basic class. I modified subs to accept the
syntax f.subs(x=1, y=2) and changed the call function to forward
directly to the subs function:

def __call__(self, *args, **kwargs):
    return self.subs(*args, **kwargs)

The changes seem to work fine, but some test cases failed... Just
realized that I may have some python path issues causing my tests to
give spurious failures. Once I have addressed this and checked tests I
will give an update.