>> I am all for Fair use of SymPy, as an informal way of saying that it
>> is (at least) polite to for example cite us and consider contributing
>> the changes back, because in the end, it helps everyone. But the BSD
>> license covers that --- it requires to give credit were credit is due.
>
> My "Fair use of SymPy" requres more -- in any case to share changes to
> SymPy itself when the code is distributed.

Ah, ok. I thought you mean the Fair use of SymPy that we currently
have in our README. As I stated in my other email, I do not share your
new Fair use.

>> > If you subclass sympy.Basic from your outside-of-sympy code, and sympy
>> > is LGPL'ed, in essence your code could be covered by *any* license you
>> > like - be it BSD, LGPL, GPL, closed, etc -- any.
>>
>> But what if I want to subclass Basic and keep the class in the same
>> file? Can half the file be LGPL and half BSD?
>
> No, as I understand it, it should be LGPL.
>
>> And btw, what is the point of being LGPL at all, if people who do not
>> want to contribute changes back will just subclass Basic and keep
>> their contributions in separate files, that they do not need to
>> redistribute?
>
> As I've said many time already, for me the point in LGPL is that the
> whole result can't be abused, i.e. always stays open, and in no
> circumstances is distributed with private modifications applied and kept
> in secret.
>
> If I'm alone in this - no problem. Let's not waste time and put all
> accents on i.

Ok, imagine I am the greedy company that you want to protect against.
Imagine sympy is LGPL. What prevents me to keep my modifications and
additions to sympy private using the technique of separate files (thus
they don't have to be LGPL) and patching SymPy classes on the fly (at
runtime)? I know that for you the point of LGPL is to prevent this. My
point is that LGPL doesn't prevent this.

Ondrej