On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 11:39, William stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Nov 15, 5:15 pm, "Robert Kern" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 18:07, Kirill Smelkov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > EPD can ship LGPL
>> > -----------------
>>
>> I'm not sure who is telling you that we can't. It's just not true. We
>> can and do ship LGPL and some GPLed packages. As a rule, we do prefer
>> BSD-licensed packages, though.
>
> If that is true, is Enthought violating the GPL? The EPD license at
>     http://www.enthought.com/products/epdlicense.php
> seems to me to be GPL incompatible, since I think the GPL does not
> allow
> one to so restrict redistribution of binaries of GPL'd software.  In
> particular,
> were EPD to include GPL'd code, I think Enthought would be in
> violation of
> section 6e of the GPL.  http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
>
> I'm just a curious bystander asking a question; I'm not making any
> claims or accusations!

The license is for the collection of binaries as a whole. Each
individual package has its own license, and we will provide the
sources for the GPLed and LGPLed packages if asked. We should just
have the tarballs up on the download site, and I believe we will
eventually do just that. Currently, I believe this is just mingw on
Windows, and we simply repackage the official upstream binaries.
IANAL, but I believe that this falls under "mere aggregation". This
term is not clearly defined in GPLv2, the operative license for this
version of GCC, but the FSF clarified it somewhat in GPLv3.

"""
A compilation of a covered work with other separate and independent
works, which are not by their nature extensions of the covered work,
and which are not combined with it such as to form a larger program,
in or on a volume of a storage or distribution medium, is called an
"aggregate" if the compilation and its resulting copyright are not
used to limit the access or legal rights of the compilation's users
beyond what the individual works permit. Inclusion of a covered work
in an aggregate does not cause this License to apply to the other
parts of the aggregate.
"""

Once you have EPD, you have the same rights to the individual GPLed
and LGPLed packages as you would if you had gotten them separately.
The collection as a whole is a related, but distinct, entity and has
its own copyright.

I believe (but can't be certain) that OpenBSD includes or has included
at least GCC on its official CD sets. Theo holds a copyright on the
layout of the CDs and restricts redistribution of the CD layout in
much the same way.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."