On Jun 5, 2009, at 9:59 AM, Ondrej Certik wrote:

> Besides that, it's a good idea to also have tests, that actually
> compile things using gcc, as you suggested. For that, I suggest to
> create a new test sympy/test_external, for example
> "test_code_generation.py", that will work something like this:
>
> try:
>    <try to write a file (if it works) and find a gcc executable (I am
> not sure if we should also test if gcc works here)>
> except <anything from above fails>:
>    disabled = True
Do you think we would need to run a configure [0] script for this?  I
am not highly familiar with this, but it seems that any time I
download come C that needs to be compiled (i.e., an open source
software package), it uses configure and make to ensure that it
compiles correctly on my machine.  It checks for, among other things,
a gcc install.  But it is also possible that that we would strictly
use ANSI C and wouldn't need to worry about it.  For example, would
all the math functions used here be guaranteed to work with any gcc
install?

Or is this maybe too much work?  Perhaps it would be better to just
attempt compiling and if it fails, then I guess you can't run that
test on that machine.

[0]: http://www.airs.com/ian/configure/