On Jun 5, 4:09 pm, Toon Verstraelen <toon.verstrae...@ugent.be> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm writing a very initial version of a code generator. I would like to add
> proper tests for the generated c code. The test will involve a compilation
> with
> gcc and linking against a small c program that tests the output of the
> function
> for several inputs. If some outputs are wrong, the negative return code can be
> captured with a proper assert statement.
>
> I could not find existing tests that generate output files. What is the
> recommended directory to write these files? I was thinking of
> tempfile.mkdtemp,
> but that makes it annoying to check the generated code manually. A temporary
> test_output directory at the root level of the source tree with subdirectories
> created by the tests seems convenient to me, but this involves changes in
> setup.py, which runs the tests. './setup.py test' should create this directory
> and './setup.py clean' should remove it enterily. Is this OK?

You could use tcc [1], which is much faster (especially if you use
libtcc and avoid any file creation -- sadly it's usually a pain to set
it up). See sympy/utilities/compilef.py for an interface. There is
also some primitive and specialized code generation.

The advantage of gcc is of course it's spread.

For configuration I'd try waf [2]. It's pure python and does not need
to be installed.

Vinzent

[1] http://bellard.org/tcc/
[2] http://code.google.com/p/waf/