On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Aaron S. Meurer<asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2009, at 9:59 AM, Ondrej Certik wrote:
>>
>> Besides that, it's a good idea to also have tests, that actually
>> compile things using gcc, as you suggested. For that, I suggest to
>> create a new test sympy/test_external, for example
>> "test_code_generation.py", that will work something like this:
>>
>> try:
>>    <try to write a file (if it works) and find a gcc executable (I am
>> not sure if we should also test if gcc works here)>
>> except <anything from above fails>:
>>    disabled = True
> Do you think we would need to run a configure [0] script for this?  I
> am not highly familiar with this, but it seems that any time I
> download come C that needs to be compiled (i.e., an open source
> software package), it uses configure and make to ensure that it
> compiles correctly on my machine.  It checks for, among other things,
> a gcc install.  But it is also possible that that we would strictly
> use ANSI C and wouldn't need to worry about it.  For example, would
> all the math functions used here be guaranteed to work with any gcc
> install?
>
> Or is this maybe too much work?  Perhaps it would be better to just
> attempt compiling and if it fails, then I guess you can't run that
> test on that machine.

Configure is a big pain. Yes, I suggest to use strictly ansi C, then
we are fine. If we need any other math libraries besides what's in the
ansi C, then I suggest we simply attach the C file implementing for
example the bessel functions or somethig -- or, we just use mpfr/gmp,
but then you are right that we need some configure script -- I have a
good experience with cmake.

Ondrej