On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 15:18, cjkogan111<cjkogan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Robert,
> Is originality more important than usefulness when it comes to a
> dissertation project?

Yes. If you want to do useful things regardless of whether or not they
are novel, you should join me in industry instead of academia.  :-)

Again, is this a Master's thesis or a PhD thesis? If the former, there
is often some leeway depending on the program; the goal may simply be
to get you to learn something. If the latter, originality is almost
always a prerequisite. It's just the nature of academia. It might not
be the best fit for your goals, but that doesn't mean that academia
should change to conform to your goals nor that you should conform to
its. But you may have to reconcile yourself to doing what you think is
most useful in your spare time, like many of us, rather than as part
of your academic program.

> It feels like I have to come up with something
> obscure that hardly anyone is going to use to develop something that I
> feel could be useful to a range of people. Secondly, I feel like this
> topic is focused. I mean, I could start by just adding other
> distributions to the statistics toolbox.

I think that there is a wide range of things that you can do that
would be quite useful while also being new. It doesn't have to be
obscure to be new. Give me the ability to do something that I didn't
know I couldn't live without.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."