On Jun 26, 2:18 pm, cjkogan111 <cjkogan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is originality more important than usefulness when it comes to a
> dissertation project?

Yes, from what I've seen in academia.

> It feels like I have to come up with something obscure
> that hardly anyone is going to use to develop something
> that I feel could be useful to a range of people.

A good way to solve the originality and usefulness
criteria at the same time is to find a practical problem
that needs solving (or a better solution if it is already
handled by some hackery or something) and show
how that maps into some obscure topic. Make progress
on the topic, then show how that solves the problem.
You'll get a lot of appreciation all around for that.

> Secondly, I feel like this topic is focused. I mean, I could
> start by just adding other distributions to the statistics toolbox.

Well, it might be focused, but it is, unfortunately,
definitely not original.

best

Robert Dodier