Asaf,

> The website is  http://code.google.com/p/openket/ although is
> outdated. I am attaching the most recent version together with a
> couple of examples.

The google code website lists open ket as being GPL licensed.  To
incorporate it into sympy
it would need to be relicensed to something like MIT/BSD.  Is this a
possibility?  If not, we really can't use it.
That doesn't mean we can't implement what you are wanting, but we just
have to steer clear of openket.

> I guess that we can get rid of most of the code by taking advantage of
> sympy. I also believe we can improve the API and have a more general
> implementation of operators.

I will look at this later, but I am guessing you are right.

> I started working on the sympy version (attached as t.py) and created
> a special kind of multiplication to handle inner product and operator
> evaluation. I'm not sure if it's the best way to do it and also I had
> to chage a line in mul.py to get it to work. Namely, in the
> _expandsums method I had to change
>
> terms = [Mul(a,b) for a in left for b in right]
> terms = [a*b for a in left for b in right].
>
> I would also like to have the eval function called automatically and
> get rid of the apply_operators function.
>
> ¿Is this a good approach?

I would definitely look  more at what we are doing in secondquant.py.
I will try to have a look
more at this in the next few days.

Cheers,

Brian