> The google code website lists open ket as being GPL licensed.  To
> incorporate it into sympy
> it would need to be relicensed to something like MIT/BSD.  Is this a
> possibility?  If not, we really can't use it.
> That doesn't mean we can't implement what you are wanting, but we just
> have to steer clear of openket.

We can certainly change the openket licence, nonetheless I believe
that by taking advantage of sympy we'll use most of the ideas of
opeket but only rewritten pieces of the code. Either way I'll ask my
friend to change it.

>> I started working on the sympy version (attached as t.py) and created
>> a special kind of multiplication to handle inner product and operator
>> evaluation. I'm not sure if it's the best way to do it and also I had
>> to chage a line in mul.py to get it to work. Namely, in the
>> _expandsums method I had to change
>>
>> terms = [Mul(a,b) for a in left for b in right]
>> terms = [a*b for a in left for b in right].
>>
>> I would also like to have the eval function called automatically and
>> get rid of the apply_operators function.
>>
>> ¿Is this a good approach?
>
> I would definitely look  more at what we are doing in secondquant.py.
> I will try to have a look
> more at this in the next few days.

I've taken a closer look at secondquant.py and noticed that it uses
Mul for inner/outer products and operator application, and by means of
external functions ( apply_operators and apply_Mul) applies the
operators and inner/outer products. I am working on an implementation
that uses this approach. Is there a way to call these functions in the
background automatically?

> It would be great to have a base level quantum module
> that defines symbolic States, Operators, time evolution, delta
> function, etc in a generic manner.  Then the quantum computing and
> second quantization package can subclass accordingly.

I have been thinking that maybe we should agree on the API, in order
for this module to be useful as a basis for second quantization and
quantum computing. I don't know very much about second quantization
but from what I've seen on the code I believe that the openket API can
be quite compatible. Is it clear from the examples I sent how the
module will work or will it be better if I prepare a more explanatory
document?