I agree with Ondrej.  git am -3 fails for me a lot too, especially if the patch
wasn't made using git format-patch (regular diff, git diff, etc.)  Sometimes I
find myself applying one-liner patches by hand. Also, I never figured out how
to transfer a patch from an email to git properly.  Is there an easy way to do
this, or do you have to manually copy and paste the patch connects into a file
and then apply it (which is again almost guaranteed to make git am fail)?

Also, I find the git rebase/merge conflict resolution to be slightly more user
friendly than git am's.  And git fetch person will always be faster than git
am, even when git am works.

Aaron Meurer