Sebastian wrote:

(1) Implement a generic "Hint"s model which can be used to store
values of different hints and also be used to find out interactively
what hints are possible. (This is already done in the hints branch and
might also be useful for other parts in sympy)

I have a manage_hints routine in iterables.py in the 1766 commit at
smichr's 1766 branch at github. I used that with expand. You might
check it out and see if it could be used for your purposes. What I
settled on was that any routine that had hints it wanted to manage
would store those hints within itself. To see what the hints are, the
expression "hints" is sent (and checked for before anything else) in
the routine.  e.g. to see the hint options for expand one would
execute

expand("hints")