On 05/07/2010 02:57 PM, smichr wrote:
>> Of Chris's stuff, I like some of the shortcuts he has implemented that
>> reduce typing for more complex hints.  Sebastian's writeup doesn't mention
>> some of the key things, like the logic for what turns other hints on and off
>> (I am assuming this would all go in the HintManager).
>>
> I can quickly elaborate on the hint manager's features:
>
> keyword expansion (mult=True -> multinomial=True)

This might be convenient for quick hacks, but code might break as soon
as new keywords are introduced. Also this really does not enhance
readability. I think it's okay to define keywords as abbreviations but I
don't like this general expanding.

> keyword validation (multy=True could generate an error; bas=True is
> ambiguous and generates an error)

+1 for validation.

> keyword concatenation (mul_multinomial=True)

I don't think this is much of an improvement. Of course code gets a
little bit shorter but you also loose the underscore for hints.

> keyword ordering when concatenated; otherwise ordering is as given in
> the stored hints

Why would order be important if you set all the concatenated hints to
the same value? I think order of hints really shouldn't change the
behavior of code.

> customizable default keyword (e.g. all=True can set all hints to True)

+1 for having hints that trigger default values for other hints. But
maybe to set all keywords at once to the same value might not for all
cases where hints are needed be a good choice.

> After doing this, I wonder if the keyword manager for running scripts
> might be enlisted to handle some of this...I never looked into it,
> however.

Sorry, what keyword manager do you mean?

Sebastian