I'm starting to get mighty confused with the parallel attempts. Fabian,
Ronan, and Ondrej all have at least one branch doing the same thing that is
very closely related to my SoC goals -- removing the old system and making
the new one uber fast. Any suggestions on how to unify all the threads?

  To your specific points, Ronan, I think the idea was to remove the old
assumptions from the backend and just have a stripped down simple version
that could easily be replaced by the new system when it's ready (ie. fast).
And to echo Ondrej's question, I'd love to know what your metric was to tell
the speed difference.

  Cheers