At 4:54pm -0600 Tue, 06 Jul 2010, Aaron S. Meurer wrote:
> Or 3. Dump Python 2.4 and get rid of that function. :)

Right on.

I'm in the middle of trying to resurrect support for Python 2.4 right
now for a project.  It's a pain, and frankly, I think my boss is on the
wrong track.  Python 2.4 was last released in 2005.  (Late 2004, if you
want to get technical.)  It's still viable, but there are a number of
corner case bugs that are time consuming (at best) to work with.  Python
2.5+ is *much* easier to maintain.

Unless you're being paid to work with Python 2.4, I would highly suggest
you pull the "It's open source, and there are only so many work-hours we
volunteers can put into Sympy" card, keep your sanity, and do more
efficient and fun things with the project.  Python 3 adoption is around
the corner, and I expect a large portion of the community will jump when
Numpy et al. make the jump.  I say work towards Python 3, not 2.4.

2 cents,

Kevin