On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Kevin Hunter <khun...@sandia.gov> wrote:

> At 4:54pm -0600 Tue, 06 Jul 2010, Aaron S. Meurer wrote:
> > Or 3. Dump Python 2.4 and get rid of that function. :)
>
> Right on.
>
> I'm in the middle of trying to resurrect support for Python 2.4 right
> now for a project.  It's a pain, and frankly, I think my boss is on the
> wrong track.  Python 2.4 was last released in 2005.  (Late 2004, if you
> want to get technical.)  It's still viable, but there are a number of
> corner case bugs that are time consuming (at best) to work with.  Python
> 2.5+ is *much* easier to maintain.

All of those running RHEL or CentOS 5 would rather like Python 2.4 support,
I'd guess, since those distros only package up to 2.4.3.

Unless you're being paid to work with Python 2.4, I would highly suggest
> you pull the "It's open source, and there are only so many work-hours we
> volunteers can put into Sympy" card, keep your sanity, and do more
> efficient and fun things with the project.  Python 3 adoption is around
> the corner, and I expect a large portion of the community will jump when
> Numpy et al. make the jump.  I say work towards Python 3, not 2.4.

SymPy *is* progressing towards Python 3; I know, because Ondrej forced me
into helping. :)  Since we'll have to run 2to3 on the source anyways, I see
no harm in adding in something that it will resolve.

My previous post notwithstanding, you could also use the inspect
> class, available since Python v2.1:
> http://docs.python.org/library/inspect.html
> .  I believe isfunction is what you want.

isfunction does seem to be a good choice - it's available in 2.4 /and/ 3.1,
works if the user passes in a full function, and doesn't return True on
methods or __call__-able objects.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Patch using isfunction at
http://github.com/xiongchiamiov/sympy/compare/master...tempfix2

--
James Pearson

--
Of all the subjects of human behavior, two are most storied: warfare and love.
  -- Cogitor Eklo, Ruminations on Things Lost