On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Renato Coutinho
<renato.couti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 10:08 PM, Aaron S. Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I noticed that renatocoutinho started porting some of the pages (like
>> https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/Quick-examples/_history).  Thanks for
>> that!
>
> Yes, I started to play with it, I have some handy regexps if anyone is
> interested.
>
> But now I'm somewhat confused, there are several sources of
> documentation, and I don't know what each one should contain:
>
> https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki
> http://wiki.sympy.org/wiki/Main_Page
> http://code.google.com/p/sfepy/w/list
> http://docs.sympy.org/
> http://sympy.googlecode.com/svn/api/sympy.html
>
> My opinion is that we should have documentation centralized, and by
> far the most beautiful and well organized is in docs.sympy.org (the
> github math mode is ugly and doesn't show formulae correctly for me
> sometimes).
>
> Having a wiki, though, is also nice, we can replace the googlecode and
> mediawiki with the github one. There's much redundancy between the
> wiki and the main documentation (docs.sympy.org), so it looks unclear
> to a newcomer which is THE documentation, especially because the wikis
> are easy to find and don't even refer to the main doc page. Maybe the
> wiki should have specialized uses, like gsoc, plans and ideas,
> cookbook etc. and leave most of the usual docs to the docs.sympy.org
> page.

I totally agree with everything you wrote and thanks so much for the initiative!

Yes, we should port all docs from the wiki into docs.sympy.org.

> I also think that a better structure in the wiki would be nice
> (hierarchical instead of a list of all pages). I can do that, if
> people don't like it, it's easy to revert back.

Yes, please go ahead.

> I don't know what is the status of the api documentation in
> googlecode, there are references to it in the mediawiki wiki, several
> of them broken.

I vote for removing that api. I'll wait if there are any objections,
and if not, I'll go ahead and remove it.

Ondrej