On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 8:36 PM, Tim Lahey <tim.la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been thinking about applying for GSoC and working on a Cython core. I'm
> assuming that it would be an optional thing? So, there would be two cores, an
> optimized one that's done in Cython and a pure Python one for when Cython
> isn't available.

Yes.

> Is the idea to update and clean up sympyx and properly integrate it into
> sympy?

I think that the latest code is here:

https://github.com/certik/sympyx

unless somebody did some more work on it. I think so, it should be
integrated into sympy. It's a nontrivial project though.

> On a development note, is there a good way to have a separate python and
> packages (e.g., a sympy fork and cython) so I don't mess up my system python?
> I'm working on OS X, but I could install a Linux VM in Virtualbox (if so,
> which Linux?).

There are several options for that, I think virtualenv is one of them.
I personally use my own project for it:

http://qsnake.com/

it's similar to Sage (uses some packages from Sage), but I rebuilt the
build system. It installs everything into a local directory and you
can have as many qsnake installations as you want. I then develop
using

qsnake --shell

and then I can call any installed package. At my work, I don't even
have a root access to my computer, so qsnake (or something similar) is
the only option. I didn't test this on a Mac for a long time, so
probably more work would be needed, I only have time to test on Ubuntu
though.

Ondrej