On Mar 18, 2011, at 9:36 PM, Tim Lahey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been thinking about applying for GSoC and working on a Cython core. I'm
> assuming that it would be an optional thing? So, there would be two cores, an
> optimized one that's done in Cython and a pure Python one for when Cython
> isn't available.
>
> Is the idea to update and clean up sympyx and properly integrate it into
> sympy?

Well, the hope is that we can use things like @cythonized decorators in the
core, and make it just work either way (either it uses pure Python, or cython
if the cython has been made).  This is how the cython in the polys works right
now.  We will have to look at it to see if this will work for the core.
Anyway, it would definitely be optional no matter how it is done, because we
want people to be able to use SymPy using pure Python as the only dependency.

Also, it was my understanding that the core needs a lot of cleanup before it
can be properly cythonized.  In particular, the old assumptions have to be
completely removed and replaced with the new ones.  Others know more about the
state of the core and could probably answer your questions better, though.

> On a development note, is there a good way to have a separate python and
> packages (e.g., a sympy fork and cython) so I don't mess up my system python?
> I'm working on OS X, but I could install a Linux VM in Virtualbox (if so,
> which Linux?).

If you are working on just SymPy, you can just work straight from the git
repository.  There is no need to install it.

If you want to create a virtual environment with Python, you can use
virtualenv.  Maybe someone else here can explain how to use it better than I
can (I am still new to it), but I think you basically type "virtualenv
directory" and then install things using the virtual python installed in that
directory (I think I might be missing a step or two here, so look at the docs
before trying).

Also, an alternative to the system Python on Mac OS X is to use fink.  That is
what I do.  Everything is installed in /sw/, and if you screw up the
installation, you can completely trash /sw/ and start again if you want (it is
completely independent of the system stuff).

Aaron Meurer