On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:
> HI Anatolii,
>
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 5:43 PM, weralwolf <weralw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Can you write a few more words about the project? Which disturbance
>>> theory, how the corrections would be calculated and how sympy would be
>>> used, and which features will be improved?
>>>
>>> Ondrej
>> Thanks for questions, Ondrej.
>> Perturbation theory comprises mathematical methods that are used to
>> find an approximate solution to a problem which cannot be solved
>> exactly, by starting from the exact solution of a related problem.
>> Perturbation theory is applicable if the problem at hand can be
>> formulated by adding a "small" term to the mathematical description of
>> the exactly solvable problem. For example if we should calculate
>> approximation for hydrogen atom in magnetic field using eigenfunctions
>> and energy levels calculate without field.
>> Corrections will be calculated due to classic theory through
>> perturbation matrix elements. More about
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perturbation_theory_(quantum_mechanics) .
>
> Oh, I didn't know you meant perturbation theory by "disturbance
> theory". I know what perturbation theory is. I even have some notes
> here:
>
> http://theoretical-physics.net/dev/src/quantum/qm.html#systematic-perturbation-theory-in-qm

I sent a wrong link, I meant this:

http://theoretical-physics.net/dev/src/quantum/qm.html#perturbation-theory

>> SymPy will be used as tool set for it, because there implemented large
>> part of required functionality.
>> Also I want implement working with creation and annihilation operators
>> which will be good improvement, cause it simplify many calculations in
>> quantum theory.
>
> There already is some implementation of the annihilation and creating
> operators in sympy.physics.quantum, but it surely needs improvements.
> Perturbation theory would be really cool, as those calculations are
> really tedious to do by hand.
>
> Definitely, I think lots of people would be interested in such a
> project. I would suggest you to try to play with the current quantum
> module in sympy and then see (in details) what things to improve and
> what exact steps would have to be done to implement the perturbation
> theory.

Also, try to do some simple perturbation theory calculation by hand,
using sympy to do the calculations (guiding it by hand) and see if
sympy can handle the integrals and matrices and produce something
useful. Post here the script, and then we can see what features are
missing.

Ondrej