On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:
> HI Anatolii,
>
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 5:43 PM, weralwolf <weralw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Can you write a few more words about the project? Which disturbance
>>> theory, how the corrections would be calculated and how sympy would be
>>> used, and which features will be improved?
>>>
>>> Ondrej
>> Thanks for questions, Ondrej.
>> Perturbation theory comprises mathematical methods that are used to
>> find an approximate solution to a problem which cannot be solved
>> exactly, by starting from the exact solution of a related problem.
>> Perturbation theory is applicable if the problem at hand can be
>> formulated by adding a "small" term to the mathematical description of
>> the exactly solvable problem. For example if we should calculate
>> approximation for hydrogen atom in magnetic field using eigenfunctions
>> and energy levels calculate without field.
>> Corrections will be calculated due to classic theory through
>> perturbation matrix elements. More about
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perturbation_theory_(quantum_mechanics) .
>
> Oh, I didn't know you meant perturbation theory by "disturbance
> theory". I know what perturbation theory is. I even have some notes
> here:
>
> http://theoretical-physics.net/dev/src/quantum/qm.html#systematic-perturbation-theory-in-qm
>
>> SymPy will be used as tool set for it, because there implemented large
>> part of required functionality.
>> Also I want implement working with creation and annihilation operators
>> which will be good improvement, cause it simplify many calculations in
>> quantum theory.
>
> There already is some implementation of the annihilation and creating
> operators in sympy.physics.quantum, but it surely needs improvements.
> Perturbation theory would be really cool, as those calculations are
> really tedious to do by hand.
>
> Definitely, I think lots of people would be interested in such a
> project. I would suggest you to try to play with the current quantum
> module in sympy and then see (in details) what things to improve and
> what exact steps would have to be done to implement the perturbation
> theory.

Yes, we would be interested in perturbation theory, especially in an
abstract sense, so a wide range of system, from single particle
non-relativistic to many particle rel. could be treated.  I would
check out the existing code, especially the second quantization stuff
and see what you think could be done.

Cheers,

Brian

> Ondrej