On 29 Apr., 23:16, "Aaron S. Meurer" <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So Ondřej, Christian, and I talked about this before GSoC, but I forgot to
> mention it on the list.  We need to figure out, as a community, how to remove
> the old assumptions system and merge in the new one.  We have already had
> several branches attempting to do it, and we couldn't even get a GSoC to do
> it because we don't really have a clear strategy on how to do it.

Can you describe what went wrong with these branches? In particular,
why can the following naive strategy not work:

1. Make the new system at least as good as the old one. That is
whenever I can write foo.is_bar I can write ask(foo, Q.bar) and I will
get at least as good an answer. In particular Symbol('x',
positive=True) should register automatically in the global assumptions
that x > 0 (if I understand correctly how the new system works...).
2. Replace all queries foo.is_bar by ask(foo, Q.bar).
3. Remove all implementations of the is_bar properties.
4. Remove all remaining remnants of the old system.