On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 6:53 AM, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The biggest problem with Jenkins in my opinion is that it has such a
> terrible user interface.
>
> SymPy-Bot is nice in that it allows completely distributed testing.
> The script is so simple and self-contained that anyone can just clone
> it and run it (I guess there are a few Python dependencies to install,
> but we could probably make distribute do that work for us too if we
> wanted).
>
> And testing pull requests is way more important than testing master;
> this is attested to by the fact that we still have not implemented
> master testing in sympy-bot.  In some ways, testing pull requests
> tests master as a side effect, because we always merge with master
> first. In fact, the only time I run tests on master directly is when
> doing a release, and even that's technically some branch. (Don't get
> me wrong, though; testing master is important, and we should be doing
> it).
>
> This is kind of analogous to the git/GitHub pull request model where
> you review code before pushing it in and the
> svn/<svn_review_tool_here> model, where you review it after it goes
> in. It's pretty clear to me, and I think most others who use GitHub
> pull requests, that the former is the superior way of doing things.

Exactly. I am sure that Jenkins can be setup to work with github pull
requests as well by hooking it up into our sympy-bot webapp and if
anybody wants to give it a shot, go ahead.

I personally think that the easiest and also robust (given our
requirements) is to simply implement the missing parts in sympy-bot.

Ondrej