Under group theory(and ring theory) I intend to implement the following:
   subgroups, normal and quotient groups, homomorphisms on groups and
permutation groups.

Under vector spaces:
   basis for a vector space, dual vector spaces and modules

Field theory however has a much larger scope for implementation since it
includes the Galois theory.  I could also implement extension fields.

I think this topic is large enough for a whole summer's work and would make
a great addition to sympy.

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 12:39 AM, David Joyner <wdjoy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Gaurav Sathe <gaurav.sath...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi all, I am interested in participating in Gsoc and I would like to
> know if
> > this could be a good project for sympy.
> >
> > As you know the concept of group theory is widely used in abstract
> > mathematics. Currently there is no module in sympy for the various
> algebraic
> > structures which come under abstract maths such as groups,rings,vector
> > spaces,modules and fields.
> > I really think all these modules should be inculcated into sympy and I
> would
> > be very much interested in doing the same as a part of Gsoc
>

> I think doing some of this this could be a very useful addition.
> How specifically do you intend to implement groups?
> Or vector spaces/matrices over a finite field?
>

> > I would really appreciate any feedback and suggestions as to how I can
> move
> > forward with this idea
> >
> > Cheers...
> >
> > P.S.: Patch requirement: I tried to fix this bug from the issues list and
> > have sent a pull request
> >
> > https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/1117
> >

> > Can someone please go through this and let me know if its OK... Thnx
> >

> > --

Gaurav Sathe
-Student at BITS Pilani - Goa Campus