Hi Joachim,

To answer your question the following operations can be implemented:

A)Under the group theory module:
1) an algorithm to check if a set is a group(abelian also)... if True what
is the Identity element,inverse of each element etc
   eg.   >>> G.isgroup()
          >>> G.isabelian()

2) an algorithm to check if a subset of a group is a subgroup
  eg    >>> A.issubgroup(G)
   if True then if A is a normal subgroup of G

I can also implement a method to create left and right cosets of a subgroup.

3) If a ∈ G, what is the order of a... is 'a' a generator for G    eg.  >>>
a.order(G)
4) if H and K are two subgroups the define HK... check if HK is a subgroup
of G     >>> HK.issubgroup(G)
5) if H is a subgroup of G then define the quotient group G/H as the set of
all right cosets

6) Homomorphism: If G and H are two groups and if Φ is a mapping between
them then is Φ a homomorphism... if True what is the Kernel of Φ
7) Is Φ a 1-1 map(isomorphic)

I think some work on permutation groups has already been done... I could
implement whatever is not there right now
Also all the above operations can be implemented for a Ring

B)Under vector spaces:
1) an algo to check if a set V is a vector space over a field F
2) if Φ is mapping between two vactor spaces then is it a homomorphism and
1-1
3) Find the basis of V and hence find dimension(V). Similarly finding
dimension of a vector subspace
4) Then if B is a basis I can implement the Gram Shmidt process as
Krestanov said to get an orthonormal basis for V

These are few of the operations that I have though of right now... I am
sure many more can be implemented which can be added to the above list. I
am trying to figure out what all I can implement from field theory. Please
let me know if u think of anything more

Thnx,
Gaurav