On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 2:18 AM, Gaurav Sathe <gaurav.sath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Joachim,
>
> To answer your question the following operations can be implemented:
>
> A)Under the group theory module:
> 1) an algorithm to check if a set is a group(abelian also)... if True what
> is the Identity element,inverse of each element etc
>    eg.   >>> G.isgroup()

Wouldn't this require knowing the operation as well?

>           >>> G.isabelian()
>
> 2) an algorithm to check if a subset of a group is a subgroup
>   eg    >>> A.issubgroup(G)
>    if True then if A is a normal subgroup of G

???
There are subgroups which are not normal.

> I can also implement a method to create left and right cosets of a subgroup.
>
> 3) If a ∈ G, what is the order of a... is 'a' a generator for G    eg.  >>>
> a.order(G)
> 4) if H and K are two subgroups the define HK... check if HK is a subgroup
> of G     >>> HK.issubgroup(G)
> 5) if H is a subgroup of G then define the quotient group G/H as the set of
> all right cosets

I guess you mean group of all right cosets, but then the question is how do
you define the multiplication table? For example, do you return the
quotient group as another permutation group (isomorphic to the group of
right cosets)?