What you want to do is create a new branch, not a new fork.  You can
achieve this with the command

git checkout -b new_branch_name

Anything you do here will be done in the branch.  You can switch back
and forth between branches with

git checkout branch_name

The default branch is master, so to get back to that, you would do
"git checkout master".

Note that git generally won't let you change branches if you have
uncommited changes, so you usually have to commit your work before you
change branches (or you can use git stash, which is a slightly more
advanced command).

Aaron Meurer