Exactly.  git checkout "magically" changes the files in the same
directory to be whatever they are for the branch you are checking out.

You might read at least the first part of
http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~blynn/gitmagic/ (maybe there are
better tutorials, but this is the one I used, and I thought it was
pretty good), so you can get a basic grasp on what git does.

Also using tools like gitk (or GitX if you are on Mac OS X) to
visualize the history is very useful for learning about git.  GitHub
also has a Mac OS X tool that I wasn't a fan of, but you can see if
you like it.

Aaron Meurer