Hi,

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 3:53 AM, Angadh Nanjangud <angad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Gilbert's latest code does use scipy but our thoughts are to eliminate
> external dependencies like that and just have the solver in sympy.
> I do intend to look into getting code output for different platforms.
> But I was also thinking about maybe writing a Runge-Kutta (or other
> commonly used numerical method) solver in SymPy. Any thoughts on that?

The problem I see is that any numerical method written in SymPy for
solving ODEs will be much slower than using SciPy. I don't see the
point in duplicating functionality that's readily available (and is
better) elsewhere. The advantages I see in a SymPy numerical ODE
method are a) that it can use arbitrary precision and could support
more precise tolerances and b) that it could be used in a pure Python
environment. I don't see that these are particularly important for
numerical ODE solving, but others may differ. I'd rather see effort
put into improving the interaction with external ODE solvers (however
that may be done).

Part of the problem is that writing numerical ODE solvers can be
tricky to do well (but it's not hard to do poorly). There's a reason
people are still using old Fortran solvers rather than rewriting them.

Cheers,

Tim.

--
Tim Lahey
PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering