I know that SymPy is a pure python module, so adding dependencies to
SciPy's optimize module is probably not gonna fly.

What is the general rule of thumb about how much numerical type of code can
be included with SymPy? The ode solvers are almost strictly numerical
except for some particular nice problems.

Jason