Luke,

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Luke <hazelnu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Did you see my email about the Euler-Lagrange equations of motion that
>> I sent earlier today?  One important point is that there is absolutely
>> no reason to have a custom Lagrangian class.  You can just build the
>> Lagrangian as a standard sympy expression.
>
> One reason to have a custom Lagrangian class is that it helps keep
> track of systems where you have a large number of
> particles/bodies/constraints/interacting forces.  For simple systems
> you can surely write the Lagrangian in a line or two, but for more
> interesting systems, it becomes onerous and error prone to do this
> "manually".  Having a class which allows you to pass it a list of
> particles/bodies, and the forces/torques acting on them, as well as
> any kinematic constraints that may be present, greatly simplifies the
> work the user must do and reduces the likelihood of making a mistake.
> I see many reasons to have a custom Lagrangian class.

OK, I can see that such a class would be useful for more complex
systems, especially when things like constraints come into play.  But,
users should always be able to define a Lagrangian using regular sympy
expressions.  Also, the underlying Euler-Lagrange equations should
work with regular sympy expressions as well.

Cheers,

Brian

> Luke

Brian E. Granger