Well, I think we should figure out what the various printing methods should do. As far as I can tell we have:

- plain str/repr (the same for technical reasons)
- sstr and srepr
- pprint

Now, as I see it, pprint is really what we use interactively. Depending on the environment it might be ascii, unicode or latex, but in any case this is the one that is supposed to look good. The main use of sstr is in doctests. When is plain str ever used?

As far as I can see, pprint should just look good, and "str" should produce something that, when passed to sympify, recreates the expression. What about sstr? From my taxonomy above, sstr is also output-oriented, and as such there does not seem to be a need for this to recreate the original expression upon sympify. Which of course would mean that the current quasi-2d printing is fine, so I must be misunderstanding things...

Tom