On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Tom Bachmann <e_mc...@web.de> wrote:
> Well, I think we should figure out what the various printing methods should
> do. As far as I can tell we have:
>
> - plain str/repr (the same for technical reasons)

Aaron and Vinzent know more about this than I do. There was some
discussion some time ago about this. (I don't have the ref at hand.)

> - sstr and srepr
> - pprint
>
> Now, as I see it, pprint is really what we use interactively. Depending on
> the environment it might be ascii, unicode or latex, but in any case this is
> the one that is supposed to look good. The main use of sstr is in doctests.
> When is plain str ever used?

That's almost all I ever see as the output in an interactive session.

> As far as I can see, pprint should just look good, and "str" should produce
> something that, when passed to sympify, recreates the expression. What about
> sstr?

I don't know.

> From my taxonomy above, sstr is also output-oriented, and as such
> there does not seem to be a need for this to recreate the original
> expression upon sympify.

> Which of course would mean that the current
> quasi-2d printing is fine, so I must be misunderstanding things...

The only thing you can copy and paste into sympify (presently) is
srepr(matrix). So the changes I proposed was to make the sstr output,
that is used in the interactive setting, give something that is
sympifiable:

in my mprint branch:

>>> m=Matrix([[1,2],[3,4]])
>>> m # the sstr form is printed
Matrix([
[1, 2],
[3, 4]])
>>> str(m)
'Matrix([[1, 2], [3, 4]])'
>>> sstr(m)
'Matrix([\n[1, 2],\n[3, 4]])'
>>> repr(m)
'Matrix([\n[1, 2],\n[3, 4]])'
>>> srepr(m)
'Matrix([[Integer(1), Integer(2)], [Integer(3), Integer(4)]])'
>>> S('''Matrix([
Matrix([
[1, 2],
[3, 4]])