On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 7:32 AM, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 29, 2012, at 8:23 AM, "Ondřej Čertík" <ondrej.cer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.cer...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> That's weird. I just checked the logs and the bot is running, here is
>>> the latest log from today:
>>>
>>> https://gist.github.com/3973714
>>>
>>> However, the latest update to the page is 4 days ago:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/sympy/planet.sympy.org/commits/gh-pages
>>>
>>> and as you can see from the log, it says:
>>>
>>> Switched to branch 'gh-pages'
>>> No updates found, no commit is generated in gh-pages
>>>

>>> Which means that the planet update didn't find any changes. However,
>>> clearly, using the
>>> link from the log, this shows new updates:
>>>
>>> http://blog.krastanov.org/category/sympy-2/feed/
>>>
>>> So something is wrong. Any ideas?
>>
>> Ok, so Stefan's latest blog post was added by this commit:
>>
>> https://github.com/sympy/planet.sympy.org/commit/99283bcad894912ba23a929f890d46d5ca2d8bdb
>>
>> So as far as the bot goes, it seems that all is good and this looks
>> like a github issue.
>> The update happened on Oct 24, so let's look here:
>>
>> https://status.github.com/
>>
>> It says:
>>
>> """
>> OCTOBER 24, 2012 – MINOR INTERRUPTION OCCURRED
>> 06:39 AM PST
>>
>> Service to all impacted repositories has been restored.
>> 06:34 AM PST
>>
>> A small number of repositories are unavailable while we perform
>> emergency maintenance on a fileserver pair.
>> """
>>
>> So maybe we were affected by this, I don't know. So I pushed in this commit:
>
> So clearly we need a more robust mechanism for this.

Right. The solution is to move the gh-pages branch of planet.sympy.org
away from the sympy github organization,
so that we can keep committing to it every 30 minutes or so without
generating spurious commit log in our github sympy organization feed.
That means we need to update where the planet.sympy.org is served
from, etc. I'll try to do it soon.

Then I just change the update script to always do a git commit
(currently it doesn't do it if only the time stamp changed, but not
any new blog posts).

That way, if github doesn't update the pages (this happens *very*
rarely), it will get updated in the next 30 minutes with the next run.
This should be very robust.

Ondrej