On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 7:27 PM, Tyler Hannan <than...@u.rochester.edu>wrote:

> I'm referring to the dual group in the context of the Petery-Weyl theorem
> from harmonic analysis, which applies to any compact group. The dual group
> consists of irreducible homomorphisms from

The Peter-Weyl Theorem does not refer to a "dual group".
Maybe it is a minor terminology issue, but the algebraic dual (which is the
dual referred to in PW) of a compact, or even reductive, Lie group is in
general not a group. In fact, the only time the algebraic dual of a group
is itself
a group is when the group is abelian.

If you want to construct matrix representations of finite groups then you
might consider looking at the GAP package repsn
http://www.gap-system.org/Packages/repsn.html
and decide if you think you can implement any of it is sympy.

If you want to work with abelian groups (which is much, much harder than it
sounds),
that would be great too.