I'm referring to the dual group in the context of the Petery-Weyl theorem
from harmonic analysis, which applies to any compact group. The dual group
consists of irreducible homomorphisms from the group to the space of
unitary operators. And by matrix representations, I mean defining the
elements of a group as matricies in such a way that group multiplication
can be computed as matrix multiplication. In SymPy and GAP groups are
represented in the form of a set of permutations, with group multiplication
being permutation multiplication, I think using matrix representations
might be more useful, as many Lie groups (like the Heisenberg group) are
defined in this way.