Hello,
I thought that working with Group Theory for my GSoC 2013 project would be
ideal.

I have familiarized myself with the GAP library and their approach to group
theory

problems, and have a fairly extensive knowledge of group theory (at the
undergraduate

level, at any rate).

The standard approach focuses heavily on representations in the form of

permutations, but does not touch on matrix representations: either over the
integers or

Z/(2^n Z). This representation is more natural for defining, for example,
Lie groups and

reduces group multiplication to matrix multiplication. Group multiplication
as matrix

multiplication has the potential to be more efficient in terms of space and
time than a

permutation if certain precautions are taken. The other key advantage to a
matrix

representation is in regard to Lie Groups. The exponential map which
defines the

relationship between a Lie Group and its associated Lie Algebra can be
computed using the

power series expansion of a matrix in the Lie Group.

Another area to focus on is the notion of algorithmic efficiency for tests
for

subgroups, normal supgroups, and the use of Sylow Theory. As defined in the
GAP library,

every group object is annotated with flags describing the group's
properties, which are

lazily evaluated. Many of these properties can be filled in purely by the
group's

construction. Using these properties, and weighing the relative algorithmic
costs of

testing them, could create an algorithm which adapts to take advantage of
group structure.

For instance, when testing whether a given subgroup N is normal to G, we
can use either a

straight test to insure gN = Ng for all g in G, or we can use Sylow's
theorems. Sylow

theory provides a far quicker test, assuming we already know N to be a
Sylow p-subgroup of

G. So, to choose which method to use, we must consider the amount of time
it would take to

confirm N is a Sylow p-subgroup.

Finally, if this works out, I would like to implement support for character
theory

and the computation of dual groups, at least in the case of finite order.

Any thoughts or criticisms would be much appreciated.

-Tyler