On 09/07/13 18:55, Ondřej Čertík wrote:
> I agree with you that removing mpmath brings more cons than benefits
> overall.
>
> However, I just want to understand the root of the particular
> problem you mentioned. If sympy removes mpmath, then sympy cannot be
> configured to use its own mpmath. In other words, you always do just
> "import mpmath as mp". What things go seriously awry? Is it some
> incompatibility between mpmath and sympy?
>
> Or did you mean that if sympy ships its own mpmath (as it does now),
> and the user installs systemwide mpmath and you start mixing the two?
> In other words, that would be an argument for removing mpmath from
> sympy.

If sympy removes mpmath then we would indeed switch to "import mpmath as
mp".  The issues arise at the moment when people accidentally mix a
system-wide mpmath install with the one in sympy.  Hence why we only
support using the copy embedded in sympy.

Unbundling mpmath would mean that we would have to start -- at least in
the interim -- supporting the current version of sympy (which will use
the system wide mpmath) and legacy versions (via their embedded copy).
At this point I would need to check when I import mpmath that I am
pulling in the same version being used by sympy and no accidentally
using the system version when I should be using the embedded version.

Polemically yours, Freddie.