I am pretty much ok with any of the _non-complex_ suggestions
mentioned in the thread (for an appropriate definition of "complex"),
but I guess the following datapoint could be useful whenever you
decide to continue the discussion:

- on more than one occasion I have wanted to install only the
polynomials module without the rest of sympy

- the same goes for the core+polynomials without anything else

The reasons were usually revolving around building a better mental
model of the library, searching for unnecessary or even stupid
dependencies, etc.

It would also be very useful for experimentation. Currently sympy does
_not_ have a simple core. At least in the mental model of more casual
user like myself.