On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Freddie Witherden
<fred...@witherden.org> wrote:
> On 28/06/13 14:42, Sergey Kirpichev wrote:
>> There is a long term issue [1] to make mpmath an external dependency.
>> It was suggested by
>> Aaron (see discussion in PR [2]), that we should discuss this on the
>> mailing list.
>>
>> Perhaps, the main reason to prefer bundled mpmath copy is a
>> mystical "complex installation".  Not clear enough.  For example, I don't
>> think that additional steps for package installation from mpmath manual
>> does matter.  For non-root users
>> there shouldn't be any problems too, at least for Python 2.6+ (per-user
>> site-package directory).
>>
>> [1] http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/detail?id=2482
>> [2] https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/2192
>
> As someone who has an application which uses *both* SymPy *and* mpmath I
> am absolutely against removing the embedded copy.  There are several
> reasons for this.
>
> When we first started developing our application the plan was to allow
> for both system and embedded mpmath installations.  The result was code
> along the lines of:
>
> try:
>     import mpmath as mp
> except ImportError:
>     from sympy import mpmath as mp
>
> which was something of a nuisance.  Worse, if the user had opted to
> install their own version of mpmath but SymPy was configured to use its
> own version things were found to go seriously awry.  Eventually we gave
> up and just switched to using the embedded copy within SymPy.  Removing
> mpmath would reopen this can of worms for very little benefit.

I agree with you that removing mpmath brings more cons than benefits overall.

However, I just want to understand the root of the particular problem
you mentioned.
If sympy removes mpmath, then sympy cannot be configured to use its own mpmath.
In other words, you always do just "import mpmath as mp". What things
go seriously
awry? Is it some incompatibility between mpmath and sympy?

Or did you mean that if sympy ships its own mpmath (as it does now),
and the user
installs systemwide mpmath and you start mixing the two? In other
words, that would
be an argument for removing mpmath from sympy.

> Now, if mpmath was a flourishing project I would be open to the idea of
> splitting the two apart.  However, as of June 2013, it isn't.  There
> have been no commits to the official subversion repository in quite some
> time (Nov 2011) with the version that ships with SymPy, for all intents
> and purposes, being the de facto revision.  Case in point: Google
> mpmath, the second result for me is:
>
> http://docs.sympy.org/dev/modules/mpmath/index.html
>
> which is from the SymPy project.
>
> I would much rather see mpmath brought back under the umbrella of SymPy
> at least until a new maintainer can be found.  At the very least I do
> not believe that removing the embedded copy of mpmath should even be on
> the table until all of the patches (or functional equivalents thereof)
> have been merged upstream and a new mpmath release has been made.

Yep, I agree. I've been trying to make this point over and over in this thread.
Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Ondrej