On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 5:40 AM, Mary Clark <mary.spritel...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Looks like the "c" in list(c) is a Python int, so if you do list(c),
>> it returns an error. What is this line supposed to do?
>>
>> Does this happen when you run this doctest locally? That's the best
>> way to debug it.
>>
>> Ondrej
>

> Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to run the doctest locally.   When I
> try, the following is displayed:
>

> sympy/liealgebras/type_a.py[?]   Failed to import
> [FAIL]
>
> I don't understand this error or how to fix it, so currently I am reliant on
> Travis to run the doctests.
>
> On the topic of the error: when I run type(c) to test the type, it returns
> str.  c is args, it's the input.  so c is "A4" or "A3" or whatever.  I guess
> I don't understand why the doctest gives this error, if the actually code
> runs fine, if that makes sense.  Surely if c was an int, the tests of type_A
> would fail as well, if that makes sense.

One thing I do (and I think is good practice in general) is that if
you know you want
inputs n and c to be int and str, put
n = int(n)
c = str(c)
at the top of your code.

Regarding
sympy/liealgebras/type_a.py[?]   Failed to import
are there other modules in liealgebras which are loaded, but
the module type_a is not? Also, if this is during a test, so from a
command in the tests
subdirectory, try inserting print statements. For example, in the
ntheory test module, between

from sympy.ntheory.factor_ import smoothness, smoothness_p
from sympy.ntheory.generate import cycle_length

insert a print

from sympy.ntheory.factor_ import smoothness, smoothness_p
print "Hi Mary"
from sympy.ntheory.generate import cycle_length

See where the failure lies. There are lots of debugging tools
around. I don't use any of them. I just insert print statements.
*Lots* of them:-)

Divide and conquer!