On Feb 23, 2014, at 9:58 AM, Anurag Sharma <anurag...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi

While going through some of the risch algorithm code, I couldn't understand
few of the docstrings.
One of them is quoted here:

"DE.D is a list of the derivatives of x, t1, t2, ..., tn-1 = t, DE.T is the
list [x, t1, t2, ..., tn-1], DE.t is the
outer-most variable of the differential extension at the given level (the
level
can be adjusted using DE.increment_level() and DE.decrement_level()),
k is the field C(x, t0, ..., tn-2), where C is the constant field.  The
numerator of a fraction is denoted by a and the denominator by
d.  If the fraction is named f, fa == numer(f) and fd == denom(f).
Fractions are returned as tuples (fa, fd).  DE.d and DE.t are used to
represent the topmost derivation and extension variable, respectively."

I do not understand what is the difference in DE.D and DE.T ?
And also the last line. Kindly be lucid.

The risch algorithm is implemented recursively. You work only with the top
most variable, which is DE.t. I suggest creating some differential
extensions to see how they work. Try DifferentialExtension(log(exp(x**2) +
1), x, dummy=False) (dummy=False will prevent it from using dummy
variables, which will make it easier to manipulate). This extension will
be, mathematically, Q(, x, t0, t1), where t0 = exp(x**2) and t1 = log(t0 +
1). These are really defined by their derivatives, so Dt0 = 2*x*t0 and Dt1
= 2*x*t0/(t0 + 1). These expressions are in the D list. They are used to
take the derivative of other expressions in terms of x, t0, and t1 in
derivation(). DE.t would be t1 and DE.d would be 2*x*t0/(t0 + 1).

Usually you only care about the top level, i.e., DE.d and DE.t.

Aaron Meurer

These are hurriedly asked questions I might be able to get them after some
more thought, but its better to put them on the mailing list maybe someone
else stuck can also get help from these. :)

Cheers