Am 08.03.2015 um 07:18 schrieb AMiT Kumar:
I think, building a robust framework, which felicitates further
development, worth much more than adding new solvers.

+1

I can't comment much on how such a framework would need to look like because I know too little about what solving methods exist and what kinds of services they'd need, but given the sheer number of solvers it's clear that making a framework will pay off.

solveset already is such a framework.
Building a subframework on top of solveset, specialized for the needs of ODE solving, would certainly be helpful.

Note that to build a framework (or subframework), experience with or knowledge about existing solvers will be very important; it's the guide to selecting what kinds of services you want (and do not want) in the framework. It's not a good idea to add a service "just in case", because (a) it requires that coder for new solvers will have to look at it and decide whether it's useful to them or not, (b) each additional feature adds design constraints. So without knowledge about solving methods, there is a very real danger that you end up coding features that nobody needs and that make it harder to code or use the features that are really needed. Actually this happens a lot even with people with lots of experience in the field. It is the main reason why the first incarnation of most frameworks is stillborn (but still essential because it is where experience is collected).

IOW if you do a framework project, it will be immensely more worth it if you can do it for a few years and help it mature.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/54FC0F81.3010303%40durchholz.org.