Hello,

I am Kshitij Saraogi and I will be a GSoC applicant this year under SymPy.

I wanted to discuss about the Solvers project.[1]
<https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/gsoc-2016-ideas#solvers>

After going through the discussions mentioned on the Ideas page, I would
like to get inputs on a few ideas for this project:

  1. Search based Solvers [2]
<https://github.com/sympy/sympy/blob/master/doc/src/modules/solvers/solveset.rst#search-based-solver-and-step-by-step-solution>
:

      I find this idea quite intriguing. I understand only an abstract view
of the idea was presented there.

      I think we should try to implement this as it would make the API
cleaner and robust.

      Since, not much has been written about this, I would like to know
more about it.

   - What is the methodology we are thinking to use for ranking solutions
(if any)?
   - What would be the parameters on which the cost function of different
sets depend ?
      So, I would appreciate guidance in this direction.

   2.  Simplifying solutions returned from equations involving
trigonometric expressions:

        The solveset module needs improvement with regards to the
trignometric equation solver.

        An equation,as simple as, sin(x)=0 gives an output which should be
simplified.

        This should be a big concern.

        What would be some good starting points to get an overview of the
issue and possibly a few ideas to resolve this ?

   3. Implementing more equation solvers: [3]
<https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues/10006>

   -

   System of  multivariate linear equations.
   -

   Nonlinear multivariate equation solver.
   -

   Equations solvable by LamberW function (Transcendental equation solver)
   -

   Nested trignometric expressions.

 As Amit pointed out here[4]
<https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues/10006#issuecomment-149339351>, that
we need (ii) and (iii) to make solveset at par with solve.

         I found this paper [5]
<http://www.hpcc.unn.ru/mskurs/ENG/DOC/pp09.pdf> which talks about
implementing a parallel Gauss method for solving this issue. Is it relevant
?

         While fixing an issue [6]
<https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/10289>, I came to know that we need a
more reliable multivariate nonlinear equation solver.

         I would like to know more about these solvers with respect to
their immediate need and the possible methods of their implementation.

   4.  Solving f(x + a) - f(x) = 0 equations: [7]
<https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues/10426>

         While going through some issues, I found that the current solvers
can’t handle these type of equations.

   5. Building the set infrastructure:

   -

   Implementing functions to handle multidimensional ImageSet

      Can we be more elaborate on what other features are we expecting ?

I would really appreciate if someone can point out the issues I may have
missed.

Also, any relevant resources or links for further readings would help too.

Thanks,

Kshitij Saraogi

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/863cae83-92e7-4c62-bf75-5cee74c1b63a%40googlegroups.com.