On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 3:15 AM, Aman Deep <amandeep1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Developers,
>
> As you all suggested, I have started working on Jupyter as the Gui with
> sympy.
>
> As Ondrej suggested to make some interactive plots using sympy in Jupyter
> notebook since the current plots are static.
>
> So After going through some online resources , I was able to make some
> interactive plots using mathplotlib and sympy plotting module.
>
> Here is the link to the Jupyter notebook file that I made
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_yUvrIaXV4lR2IwWVhIUHpFOEk/view?usp=sharing
> I have also included comments in the notebook using markdown before each
> code block.

Use nbivewer.jupyter.org to show notebooks, so that people can see
them. Like this:

http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/gist/certik/93bd15ac659b693985ce

I ran the notebook. No window appears for me. I assume that I don't
have some kind of a backend installed. My idea is to make this work
inside the browser itself, so that it works for everybody (and myself
too). So this would mean:

* investigating what javascript libraries are available
* how to integrate with jupyter
* writing code for sympy and/or perhaps some kind of a jupyter
extension to make this all work (perhaps both)

I searched around a bit, and it turns out there is already:

%matplotlib notebook

and it provides an interactive matplotlib plot! Both 2D and 3D works!
That's actually amazing, I didn't know they implemented this.

It's a bit flaky, e.g. it only works the first time, if I reexecute
the cell, it disappears and never shows again until I restart the
notebook.  So this would need to be fixed. So a good project would be
to improve this matplotlib / jupyter interaction. It's not even really
related to sympy, but I'll be happy to get somebody from matplotlib to
help us mentor this. I think this would be very useful. There could be
sympy bits to improve too. E.g. perhaps sympy documentation and more
examples how to do 2D and 3D plots, perhaps adding some more
functionality.

So a project like this would be very useful to lots of people.

Ondrej

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CADDwiVD%3DQ5QcOkKSQSC4v1z_UCkTdTupYw611Woi%2BAR3H-BUdA%40mail.gmail.com.